Ali, Ayub (1887-1995) educationist and Islamic thinker. Born at Telikhali under Bhandaria upazila of Pirozpur district, Abul Khair Muhammad Ayub Ali was the son of Maulavi Abdul Wahed and Mrs Abida Khatun. He had Madrasa education at first and then he took western education. He passed BA Honours and MA Examinations in Islamic Studies from Dhaka University in 1943 and 1944 respectively. He also obtained a second MA degree in Persian from the same University in 1950.
Ali got Alamiah Diploma in 1953 and PhD in 1955 from the Al-Azhar University, Cairo. He entered Government education service as a Lecturer at Dhaka College in 1944. He was Principal of Rajshahi Madrasa (1958-1969), Sylhet Government Aliya Madrasa (1970-1973) and Dhaka Aliya Madrasa. His History of Traditional Islamic Education in Bangladesh is a commendable work. In appreciation of his long services as an educationist Ali was awarded the Ekushe Padak in 1976. [ABM Saiful Islam Siddiqi]