Chittagong Municipal Model High School
Chittagong Municipal Model High School established first as a junior English school in 1880 by Shyamacharan Sen, a social worker of Gairala village of Patiya, chittagong at the present location of the Baptist Mission Church in Firingibazaar of Chittagong. Shyamacharan was also the first headmaster of the school. Later, Chittagong Municipality shifted the school to its present place and upgraded it to a high English school. Its management was also taken over by the municipality. The school however, faced financial hardships. In 1882, Zamindar Raybahadur Golakchandra Chowdhury donated two thousand rupees to the school fund, after which it gradually started growing as a model institution. Zamindar Raybahadur Prasannakumar Ray served the school as a honourary headmaster.
In 1947, Parthasarathi Gupta, a student of this school, stood first in the Matriculation Examinations held under the Calcutta University. After the Partition of Bengal in 1947, the school earned fame because of two headmasters, Durgamohan Guha and Haridayal Gupta. AKM Mahmudul Haque, another headmaster of the school, was honoured with the Best Teacher Award in 1992. At present, the school has 2,400 students and 51 teachers. It has a library equipped with modern facilities, science lab and a computer lab. [Sadat Ullah Khan]