Daulatpur Mohsin High School
Daulatpur Mohsin High School the first high school of Khulna district now situated at Khan A Sabur Road in Khulna. It was established in 1867 with the financial support of the mohsin fund. Most of the zamindari estates of Haji Muhammad Mohsin were under Khulna district. The headquarters of the Syedpur Trust Estate comprising the zamindari estates of Syedpur, Shovana, and Char Bhadra of Khulna district was located at Daulatpur. The Estate Manager Babu Khetragopal Bandyopadhyay took initiative to set up a school there. He discussed the matter with the deputy collector-in-charge of the estate, Babu Brahmmanath Shom. With his consent, a minor school named Dalatpur-Syedpur Trust Estate School was founded on 2 February 1867. Later it was renamed as Daulatpur Minor School.
Initially a room of the shop owned by a businessman Gour Mohan Shaha was used as the classroom of the school. Abhoy Kumar Sen was provisionally appointed as the head master of the school. After some months, Raj Mohon Ghosh took over as headmaster. Taraknath Bhattacharya was the first head pundit. At its inception the school had only 54 students. But the number of students rose to 100 within one month. Within six months the number of students rose to such an extent that the authority had to shift the school to the residence of Sree Umacharan Mukherjee at Maheswarpasha. The endowment of the Estate was Rs 54 per month and monthly collection of tuition fees from students was Rs 17. But, the salary of the Headmaster was Rs 30 per month. In 1870, 13 students from this school appeared in the Mid English Final Examination of whom 12 students came out successful. The results' in the subsequent years were also satisfactory. The school was upgraded to a High English School in February 1875. The District Collector of Jessore and the then custodian of the Syedpur Trust Estate, James Monroe shifted the school in a bunglow of the Trust to have a better accommodation. With discontinuation of cultivation of indigo and the closing of the sub-registry office the concerned vacant buildings were allotted to the school. Thereby socking the accommodation problem. A madrasa section was opened in the school to attract the Muslim students.
The school suffered damage in 1887 due to arsoning of its establishment by some miscreants. Moreover the growing erosion of Bhairab river was a threat to the establishment of the school. At this stage, the Trust estate accommodated the school in its bunglow. The school again suffered a severe arsoning in June 1894. New pacca building was built for the school in 1900. The school was then maintained by public donation, endowment from the Estate and government grant. In 1916, a piece of land measuring five bighas was bought for the construction of students hostel and the playground. The Muslim students were then given opportunity to study here free of cost.
At present, the school has three faculties humanities, science and commerce. Only male students from class VI to X are taught here. There are three sections in each class. The school has 17 teachers and 754 students. Beside academic programmes, the students here participate in various sports and games, debate competition, scouting, BNCC and cultural programmes regularly. The BNCC platoon of this school was adjudged as the best national level platoon for five consecutive years from 1995 to 1999. The scouts of the school secured the 3rd position in the Metropolitan Scout Rally in 2006. Mohsin High School became champion and runners up several times in the inter school football, volleyball and cricket competition. Several teachers of this school were awarded as best teachers at upazila, district and national levels.
At present, the area of the school compound covers 3.15 acres of land. It has a rich library with 3,000 books, modern computer and science labs having latest equipment, an auditorium, a mosque, a canteen, two playgrounds, four two-storied buildings, one single storied building, a tin-shed students hostel of four rooms and a tin-shed teachers quarters. The school has tow play grounds. Regarding the result in SSC examination the school has been maintaining its old tradition. The average percentage of pass in the SSC examination is 80. [Shaikh Shahjahan]