Jump to: navigation, search

Durgasagar


Durgasagar with an area of about 2,500 hectare, is the largest pond or dighi of southern Bangladesh. It is located at Madhabpasa village of babuganj upazila, about 11 km away from barisal town. Locally it is known as Madhabpasha Dighi. According to a desire of Rani Durgavati, mother of Raja Joynarayan, the dighi was dug in 1780 (1187 BS). Initially there were four pucca ghats each having 15m width. Due to the lack of proper maintenance jungles gradually surrounded the dighi. However in 1975, government renovated it to some extent. There are coconut trees around the dighi which together with the dighi are bounded by brick-walls. There are two gates each on the eastern and western sides of Durgasagar. In the middle of the dighi, there is an island with bushes. migratory birds usually come here during winter. The surrounding areas of the dighi has now been turned into a picnic spot. Presently, Barisal Development Board is looking after it. [Md Tuhin Molla]