Jump to: navigation, search

Jhenaidah Government High School


Jhenaidah Government High School is one of the oldest educational institutions of jhenaidah district, is located in southern part of Jhenaidah town. It was established in 1877 at the initiative of the local promoters of education and culture. The school initially operated as a High English School at the campus of the Government Girls High School. Md Abdul Kader Miah, a zamindar of Bhutiargati and a patron of learning donated lands for the new school. Very soon, the school got recognition as a High English School and was registered under the calcutta university, following which it became well known as the Jhenaidah Model High School to the local people.

Later, political changes in the subcontinent hindered the development of the school for some time. But the local Majumdar family solved the problems and some noted personalities including advocate Jatindranath Roy. In 1960, a new building was built for it in a new place to accommodate students. In 1961, the school was shifted to its present campus on the land donated by local rich persons, especially Fazar Ali Dafadar and Mobarak Mondal. The New Academy School that operated at the place selected for the Jhenaidah Model High School was relocated and the old building of the former was given to Girls' High School (Now Jhenaidah Government Girls' High School). Jhenaidah Model High School was under the affiliation of Dhaka Board from 1947 to 1963. In 1963 it was placed under Rajshahi Board and since 1964, it is under Jessore Board.

At present, the school has a two storyed academic building with 22 rooms of them 18 classrooms and 4 laboratories, a single storyed administrative block, a two storyed students hostels, and two dormitories including a separate residential building for head master on an area of 6.27 acres. Moreover, there are a hall room with 150 seats and a library in the school campus.

The school has two shifts, morning and day. There are 13 sections from class three to ten in the day shift. Science, Humanities and Commerce group are taught here in class nine and ten. In 2010, the school has 950 students, a head master and 49 teachers including two assistant teachers. Students of the school also participate in Bangladesh National Cadet Corps, scouting, athletics, cricket and football tournaments, and debate competition. [Md Ebaidul Islam]