Kumudini College was founded in 1943 by Roy Bahadur ranada prasad saha, commonly known as RP Saha, a leading entrepreneur and social activist. The college, founded in Mirzapur under Tangail district, was named after his mother, Kumudini. Initially, it began it began its operation at the residence of Premaditya Ghose in Tangail town. Kumudini College was the third in Bangladesh region after eden mohila college in Dhaka and Sylhet Women College. Jyotirmoyee Ganguly was its first principal.
In 1945, RP Saha shifted the College to its present location. The college was built on 14 acres of land at Biswasbetka area of Tangail. kumudini welfare trust used to bear all expenses of the college until it was nationalised in January 1979. At present, Kumudini College has been upgraded to University College having honours courses in eight subjects, masters in two subjects and 16 departments beside Higher Secondary and Degree (Pass) courses. Over 4700 girls are now on the roll of the college. The number of teachers here is 49, of which 17 are female. From the very beginning, the college has a student's hostel with a capacity of 450. It has also a rich library.
As an outstanding female education centre, Kumudini College, beside its mission for enhancing women literacy, has been playing a remarkable role in promoting participation of women in literary and cultural activities and sports. The girls guide and scout units of the college have attained national reputation for their cultural and physical performances. [Md Asaduzzaman]