Mary Anderson once a remarkable luxury yacht, but now a floating Restaurant and Bar managed by the Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. The 150 feet long 'State Yacht Mary Anderson' was built in 1933 in the Calcutta Shipyard at a cost of Rs 1,24,702.00 for the Governor of Bengal. The Yacht was named after the daughter of the then Governor Sir John Anderson.
After the partition of India in 1947, the Yacht was used by the Governor of East Bengal, and after 1971 by the Hon'ble President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. In order to maximise the use of this historic yacht it was donated to Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation in 1978. The Corporation converted it into a floating restaurant, which was inaugurated on Sunday, the 24 September 1978. As a restaurant, Mary Anderson draws considerable number of tourists and visitors every day. [Sirajul Islam]