Jump to: navigation, search

Sunamganj Government Jubilee High School


Sunamganj Government Jubilee High School is the oldest secondary school in Sunamganj district. It is situated in the centre of sunamganj Town on the bank of surma. It was established in 1887 with the assistance of local wealthy people and the local administration of Sunamganj. The word 'jubilee' was added to the name of the school to the incidental coincidence of founding year of the school with the golden jubilee of the accession of Queen Victoria to the throne. It was made a government school in 1928. The area of the school compound covers an area of 6.45 acres of land. It has 2 hostels and 5 academic buildings including a library block. Presently, the total number of students and teachers are 800 and 37 respectively. The school runs in two shifts. A traditional semi-pucca tin-shade building located in front of school constructed during the British period still exists and opposite to it, there is a basketball and a lawn tennis ground. [MKI Qaiyum Chowdhury]