Azizul Haque College
Azizul Haque College one of the most noted colleges of North Bengal located in Bogra. Founders of the college were Khan Bahadur Mohammad Ali MLA, Nahini Chandra Chakrabarti, Khan Bahadur Korban Ali, Syed Delwar Ali Choudhury, Profulla Chandra Sen, Shiv Chand Agwral and Maulavi Sabir Uddin Ahmed. The college was later renamed as Azizul Haque College in honour of the Vice Chancellor of Calcutta University Sir M Azizul Haque. The college launched its academic activities on 9 July 1939 from the Subil Primary School Building with 200 male students.
Initially Calcutta University allowed the college to run IA class only. Out of 200 students, 152 appeared before the IA final examinations held in 1941. Of them 8 got first division, 64 second division and 35 third division. Later on, honours courses in Economics and Islamic History and Culture, and BA (pass) course were introduced in the college.
Enrollment of girl students began from 1943. From the 1945-46 academic session, the College introduced honours courses in Bangla and Arabic, and ICom classes. But in 1947, all honours courses were suspended due to migration of many senior teachers to Calcutta. Chemistry and Mathematics were introduced at ISc Level. Biology was introduced in 1948-49 session. Girl students used to attend classes in the morning shift at the present VM girls school complex till 1953. In the 1954-55 session, three-years honours courses in Arabic and Islamic History and Culture were introduced.
The college was brought under Development Project in 1960. The government acquired 55 acres of land of Kamargari, Nishindara and Malgram mouja, west of Bogra Rail Station and built hp a two-storeyed building for the College at a cost of nine-lakh taka in 1961. The then Governor of East Pakistan Lt. General Azam Khan laid the foundation stone of the college on 31 October 1961. The infra structural works of the college campus including construction of two student hostels, one each for boys and girls were completed in 1963-64.
The college was taken over by the Government in 15 April 1968 and BA, BCom. BSc, IA, ICom and ISc classes were introduced alongside honours courses in Bangla, Economics, History, Arabic and Islamic History and Culture. In 1972-73, honours courses in Political Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Accounting and Masters' courses in Economics, Political Science, Management and Accounting were introduced. During 1973-74 sessions, there were 3,787 students in the College including 317 and 618 students in Masters and Honours Classes respectively. The number of teachers was 90. At present, the College offers Masters course in 18 subjects, Honours course in 23 disciplines beside degree pass courses like BA, BSc and and BCom. Moreover it Conducts HSC courses in Science, Commerce and Humanities and different courses under the Open University. There is an ICT Institute in College. Which offers one-year long Post-graduate diploma course on ICT, one-year long diploma course on Computer Science and Application, six-month long computer training course and short-term computer training programmes. There is an International Language Centre here, which imparts training on English, Arabic and other languages.
The college has four boys hostels, such as Tito Mir Hall, Sher-E-Bangla Hall, Fakhruddin Ahmed Hall, Shohid Akhtar Alimullah Hall and one girls hostel, a library, common rooms for both boys and girls, BNCC building, a two-storeyed mosque, Principal bungalow, Science Building, Studies Union Office, Rover Scout Building a 2500-seat auditorium and a playground. Two cultural organisations College Theatre and Niltali, and bncc, rover scout. Red Crescent and other social organigations are active in the compus. Two scholarships, Habibur Rahman Memorial Scholarship and Raisuddin Khatenmunnessa stipend are awarded to meritorious students. During the war of liberation in 1971, Pakistan Army set up its 13 Engineering Battalion camp here and destroyed many valuable documents, equipment and furniture. They also killed a staff of the College Md. Mamtajur Rahman.
The first principal of Azizul Haque College was Dr MM Mukharjee (1939) and the first vice-Principal was SP Sen. Leading language expert Dr muhammad shahidullah and noted writer syed muztaba ali were also Principals of Azizul Haque College. [AKM Salamat Ullah]