Chowdhury, Mohimaranjan Ray
Chowdhury, Mohimaranjan Ray (1853-1909) a zamindar of Kakina in the district of Lalmonirhat. He was the adopted son of Raja Shambhuchandra. Mahimaranjan Ray became zamindar in 1868 under the Court of Words. He was a great patron of education and devoted to literature and culture. Mohimaranjan was the member of Rangpur Jilla Education Board from 1870 to 1909 and was also a member of the syllabus committee of the board (1872 to 1873). He continued publication of the two newspapers Rangpur Deekprakaxh and Rachanabali initiated by his father.
At the end of nineteen century Mohimaranjan founded a museum and a library at Kakina. He also donated a big amount of money to establish the Woodburn Library in Bogra. In order to develop industry and agriculture, Mohimaranjan arranged for an industrial exhibition in 1877 and an agricultural exhibition in 1879 at Kakina.
Other than Bangla, Mohimaranjan had proficiency in Sanskrit, English and Persian language. Rangpur Shatya Parishad (Rangpur Litterary Council) was established in 1905 by his initiative. He was the president of the organisation till his death. Mohimaranjan Ray Chowdhury died in 1909. [Muhammad Moniruzzaman]