Khastgir Girls’ School
Khastgir Girls' School the first girls school of chittagong was established in 1878. Annadacharan Khastgir, a pioneer in the movement for girls' education of the 19th century and a leader of the Brahma Movement had established a vernacular school at the present Jamal Khan Road area. His son-in-law and a leading social worker of Chittagong, Jatramohan Sen built a large building to accommodate the school in an expanded form after its conversion into an English high school. In 1907, Jatramohan Sen handed over the ownership of the land and the new school building on it to the school authorities. The school was renamed Annadacharan Khastgir Girls' High School after the name of his father in law. The same year, the school was nationalised.
The school played a significant role in the spread of female education in Chittagong. Eminent among its alumni are revolutionary activists pritilata waddedar and kalpana datta, noted writer Maitrayee Devi, professor Shipra Dutta, scientist Shovabna Dhar, and academician Pranati Sen. The school having altogether 2200 students and 53 teachers runs in tow shifts- morning and day. It has a library with a collection of 12 thousand books. Each year at least 3/4 students of the school secure top positions in the merit list of the SSC examinations. Earlier the school authority provided accommodation facilities to the female student but as per the report of Enam Committee, it has abolished. [Sadat Ullah Khan]