Nabakumar Institute an educational institution of old Dhaka, established in 1916 and so named after Nabakumar, a zamindar. Situated at Bakhsi Bazar, Dhaka city. The Institute operated as a secondary school until 1973, when the school established its college branch in 1973.
Students of Nabakumar Institute played a great role in the national democratic and educational movements. Matiur Rahman, a student of the Institute took it to a new height of fame by becoming a martyr in the democratic movement of the 1960s. In 1998, the government of Bangladesh donated a grant of Tk 10 million to the institution for erecting the Matiur Rahman Monument at its premises. Besides erecting the memorial, the managing committee of Nabakumar Institute established the Matiur Rahman Memorial Library and Matiur Rahman Memorial Museum. The students of the institution played a significant role in the movement for independence of the country. They earned plaudit in various sport tournaments.
The Government Bangla College, now situated at Mirpur, used to hold its classes of the night shift in its formative years in the premises of the Nabakumar Institute. Dr muhammad shahidullah was a teacher in the bangla college and when the college section of the Nabakumar Institute was separated to form an independent college, the managing committee of the institute named it after him. Nabakumar Institute and Dr Mohammad Shahidullah College operate in the same campus and are run under the same administration. Together, they provide the students an opportunity to complete schooling from the nursery level to graduation. The Institute accommodates its academic and administrative facilities in two buildings, one four storyed and the other six storyed. [Sadat Ullah Khan]