Christian Mission Hospital
Christian Mission Hospital established initially by medical missionaries of the Presbyterian Church of England in 1887 as a 5-bed hospital in northern Bengal; it was later shifted to rajshahi town in 1890. In 1957, it was developed into a 100-bed hospital. In 1974 a 20-bedded children';s ward was included, thus bringing the total number of beds to 120.
An eye clinic was opened in September 1991. The hospital has four wards: two general medical and surgical wards, a children';s ward, and a maternity ward. It began its community health programme in 1989. In 1994 the programme assumed the management of community health services through four sub-centres in the Rajshahi area.
The Nursing Institute of the hospital was recognized as an accredited institution by the government in 1973. The course of training is based on the curriculum provided by the Bangladesh Nursing Council. It provides three years of general nurses training for all students and an extra year of midwifery training for female students only. In the hospital section, 67 people, including 11 doctors and 26 technicians, work in the primary health care programme. The nursing institute has a total of 18 staff members, including a principal. A medical superintendent heads the hospital [Swapon Kumar Halder and Nripen Ghosh] [Ghosh, Nripen Christian Mission Hospital, Rajshahi]