Magura Government High School
Magura Government High School the oldest educational institution in magura district, which was at origin a minor school. It was established in 1830s at the initiative of some members of the local elite at Shibrampur village, two km west of Magura town. In 1854, the school was shifted to a small house at the heart of the town. The University of Calcutta recognised it as a high English school in 1860. The school building was damaged by a fire in 1876, when its headmaster Jogendranath Sinha and Sub-Divisional Officer Kaliprasanna Singh mobilised support for its rehabilitation in a new place and construction of a new brick building for it. On 1 August 1981, the school was finally shifted to its present site and its old building was transferred to Magura Women's College. With changes of place, the school got changed names in different times. The name Magura High English School was changed to Magura Model High School in the 1960s and in 1970, it became Magura Government High School. Many ex-students of the school later hold responsible positions at home and abroad. The success rate of the students of the school in Secondary School Certificate examinations is commendable. The school also has a reputation for its good performance in sports and cultural activities. Its students take part in bangladesh national cadet corps and Red Crescent.
At present, the school has a total land area of 13 acres. It has a large L-shaped building for residence of its teachers. The main school building has 16 classrooms, 3 office rooms, 2 laboratories and one library. Now the number of students and teachers are about 1000 and 52 respectively. The school has a big playground, a mosque and a pond. [Benjeen Khan]