Shah Paran (R)
Shah Paran (R) a renowned sufi belonging to the Suhrawardia and Jalalia sects. It is said that he was the son of a sister of Hazrat shah jalal (R) and was born in Yemen. He, with his uncle, took part in the expedition of sylhet (1303 AD). After the conquest of Sylhet he established his khanqah at Khadim Nagar in Dakshingarh Pargana, about 7 km away from Sylhet town, and started spiritual ascetic practice there. He played a significant role in propagating Islam and establishing Muslim rule in Sylhet region.
Even now a large number of people daily visit his tomb. On the 4th, 5th and 6th day of Rabi-ul-Awal, the Urs of Hazrat Shah Paran (R) takes place. His grave is located in a high hillock and it is carefully preserved at a place which is built with bricks and surrounded by walls. On the northern side of the grave there is an old tree, the branches and branchlets of which are extended above the entire tomb. The name of the tree is 'Ashagachh' (a tree of hopes). From a close observation of the leaves of the tree, it appears that the tree has grown out of a mixture of the fig, mango and some other tree. People eat the seeds of the figs devotionally in the hope of getting rid of diseases. Mangoes are also eaten with utmost respect as Tabaruk. There is an ancient mosque by the side of the tomb. The mosque has been modernised in 1989-91. About 1500 devout Muslims in a body can now say their prayers there. [Muhammad Sohul Hussain]