Sylhet MAG Osmany Medical College
Sylhet MAG Osmany Medical College situated in western part of Sylhet city at Kajalshah area was established in 1962 by the then government of East Pakistan through up-gradation of existing Medical School which was founded in 1948. Affiliated with the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology;' it is a public institute under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of the Peoples' Republic of Bangladesh. It is approved by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council and General Medical Council of the United Kingdom. The current name came into effect from 1986 in memory of Commander'in'Chief of the Liberation Forces of our Great Liberation war Mohammad Ataul Ghani Osmany.
Every year about 175 students get chance of admission in MBBS course in this college. In addition the college enrolls a good number of students in its various post graduate courses. To fulfill the need of clinical education and practical training of these students, Sylhet MAG Osmany Medical College Hospital exists nearby with a facility of keeping more than 500 in-patients. The official designations of head of the college and the hospital are the Principal and the Director respectively and these two sister concerns run their affairs in co-operation with each other. The post graduate courses include Diploma, MS, and MD etc. in various subjects. After the graduation, to achieve the right of providing medical care and treatment advices to the patients and public in general, it is mandatory for everyone to seek registration from the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council for which at least one year of practical training in various departments of an approved hospital is a requirement. [MKI Quayyum Choudhury]