Khan, Nurul Absar
Khan, Nurul Absar (1924-1986) scientist and educationist. He was born at Bakshanagar village in nawabganj upazila of dhaka district on 1 February 1924, Nurul Absar Khan passed BSc (Honours) and MSc examinations in Chemistry from Dhaka University in 1945 and 1946 respectively. He obtained PhD degree from Ohio University, USA, in 1950. Dr Khan also got MS degree in Chemical Engineering and Diploma in Oils and Fats from USA.
He became a Research Associate with several American universities and industries from 1947 to 1956. He was head of the Research Division of East Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research from 1956 to 1966 and was promoted to be Director of the East Regional Laboratories in Dhaka in 1966. After independence, he became a Member and later Director of the Bangladesh Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (BCSIR - Science Laboratory) where he served up to 1978. He was appointed chairman of BCSIR in 1979 and retired from that position in 1981. Dr Khan was a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chemistry, London (1960), the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (1975) and the Plastic and Rubber Institute, London (1980). Along with many research papers he published 21 monographs and 52 patents for industrial processes. Worked as Adviser in a number of foreign and national industries including American Oil and Fat industries. He was awarded the Commonwealth Visiting Professorship in UK from 1972 to 1973. NA Khan breathed his last on 22 May 1986. [Md Mahbub Murshed]